Re: [orion-dev] Draft Orion proposal

> "John J. Barton" <johnjbarton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> 03/31/2011 11:31 AM
> Scope
> This includes development tools for programming _javascript_, HTML5,
> CSS, and related technologies.
> Out of Scope
>
> Specific web-based development tools, other than those required to
> build Orion itself, are out of scope.
>
> ---
>
> I don't suppose it really matters, but this last sentence reads like
> some kind of double-speak. Either web-based development tools are in
> scope or they are not.  I would not be able to decide based on the proposal.

There is an important distinction between "web-based tools" and "tools for web technologies". By "web-based tools" we really mean tools built on Orion for other arbitrary programming languages. Think of Orion-based C++ tools for example. Maybe the way to avoid the confusion is to remove the adjective "web-based" from the "out of scope" section. Programming tools for other languages are out of scope, period. Whether they are web-based tools or Eclipse desktop-based tools is immaterial.

John A

Back to the top