Re: [open-regulatory-compliance] Manufacturer's responsibility

I have a slightly different understanding.

The manufacturer is responsible for the security of their product, including any third party components they include, regardless of how those components are licensed.

HOW the manufacturer determines that their entire product is secure, up to the standard required for their category, is not completely prescribed by the CRA.

An Attestation as to the security of an OSS project is ONE WAY a manufacturer can demonstrate that they performed appropriate due diligence.

A third party audit could be another way.

Questions I have here are:
  • would the output of a third party audit be an Attestation?
  • would this Attestation conform to some standard?
  • if an Open Source Steward offers an Attestation, what obligations does a third party auditor have to consult with the Steward and/or conform to the Steward's Attestation?
Of course I'm very interested in others' thoughts. Perhaps the answers are understood.

Thank you!

Greg