[open-regulatory-compliance] Annotation and comments for official doc

Hi all,

yesterday, during office hours, Tobie shared his Markdown parser of the legal EU document with us. Based on that, we had a more extended discussion about how to use that tooling and outcome to comment on and annotate the legal document. I want to share my thoughts on that topic as a base for future discussions:

- I like to have a markdown version of the document. From my point of view, markdown provides all the functionalities and features needed to create a good representation of the content as a base to work with.
- Since several paragraphs are pretty complex, I would like to extend the parser to create the markdown in multiple languages. That would allow us to switch between languages quickly.
- As mentioned yesterday, I assume it will be a good idea to create 1 markdown file per article. Doing so will make it easier to add annotations and comments (per article). We could create to each article a comments markdown file (article_11.md, article_11.de.md, article_11.es.md, article_11_comments.md). An automatic build can make 1 large markdown (or HTML) per language from all files. The content of the comments markdown could be put in a blockquote (> in markdown syntax) by the generator. We could do the same for annotations and tags (article_11_annotations.md). Here, we could use a list, blockquote, or any other markdown syntax for the annotations. I attached a super simple illustration that shows how it could look like.
- I would like to add annotations and comments using pull requests. By doing so, a discussion between the WG members can happen in the PRs, and the outcome added to the document won’t be a long discussion but more of a comment from the entire group.
- Have you already discussed moving to GitHub instead of using Eclipse GitLab? By using GitHub, we would reach out to way more people.

Hendrik

PNG image

PNG image

Back to the top