Re: [open-regulatory-compliance] European Commission informal CRA consultations on the definition of Critical and Important products

My 2 cents:

First, this is not really unique to CMS or plugins, many software products / projects have different usages and configurations.
1) IMO there is nothing to suggest that producers of plugins qualify as an open-source steward, at least no dependent on the type of plugin they make. And why do you think they are not putting the functionality on the market? I would say this depends more on the nature of their product. If it’s a FOSS project without any income, they might not have any obligations. If they are licensing it, they are probably a manufacturer, even if part of it is FOSS.
2) Could you give an example for such a case? Based on the limited info you provided, I think there is no clear answer. Like f.e. in case you use Wordpress for Identity Management for some reason, I don’t think Wordpress can be expected to need stricter measures because of that. And if you do customization projects, i.e. for specific clients, I would anticipate that any provisions for FOSS do not apply to you, unless you or your clients make all their source available (and then I would have to look at things more closely and it might be too early to say)
(This is not legal advice though, and would need a more thorough case by case investigation)

--
Dr. Florian Idelberger

Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)
Zentrum für Angewandte Rechtswissenschaft (ZAR)
Institut für Informations- und Wirtschaftsrecht
Vincenz-Prießnitz-Str. 3, D-76131 Karlsruhe

E-Mail: florian.idelberger@xxxxxxx

KIT - Universität des Landes Baden-Württemberg und
nationales Forschungszentrum in der Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft