Re: [oniro-wg] Towards an Oniro chat service: channels structure proposal

Agustín Benito Bethencourt <agustin.benito@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

> Hello again,
>
> On Wednesday, 11 January 2023 18:48:21 CET Agustin Benito Bethencourt wrote:
>> Hello Zyga,
>>
>> On Wed, 11 Jan 2023 at 17:50, Zygmunt Krynicki <me@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hey everyone!
>> >
>> > I have a question about the proposal:
>> >
>> > Does this mean that someone using another matrix server will be unable to
>> > join our channels without using an EF account explicitly?
>> That is correct. This channel will be like any other channel or
>> resource provided by EF. You need an EF account to participate.
>
> Let me rectify the above statement.
>
> * The EF matrix server will only allow users with an EF account for now.
> * You will be able to access EF matrix channels through federated services
>   (matrix.org or other federated servers).
>    * I have already tested and I can join oniro-wg (test) channel using my
>      matrix.org account in my Element client (flatpak in opensuse)

Can you share some information so that we can help test it out as well?

> * Users will be encouraged to use an EF account to access EF matrix channels.

Any ideas on how this encouragement will look like?  Will it be some
kind of disclaimer?  Or some kind of limitations applied to users with
non-EF accounts?

>    * We at EF will work on the measures to apply to make absolutely clear to
> users that they comply with EF framework and processes when getting into EF
> channels. Matrix offers several options to do so. We will experiment with them
> at Oniro.

> I cannot guarantee that the above set up will remain overtime. As mentioned,
> Oniro is the front line and we can find ourselves in a situation where we need
> to adapt things in order to roll out the service at scale and document them as
> part of our processes. Hopefully we will sort out any inconvenient or
> potential risk that comes up.
>
> I hope the above adresses Andrei, Zyga, Esben and Marta's first
> concern.

I think it mostly does.  But as it often is, the devil is in the details :)

/Esben

Back to the top