Even https://github.com/wangzw/CppStyle needs to be configured, so we have to agree on that configuration. I still would hope that the same formatting rules can be expressed for CDT so I don't have to install yet another plugin.

I think we should be adopting common formatting rules, e.g. Linux?

-Keith

Inactive hide details for Mark Stoodley---2016-08-22 14:53:13---For those new users that are using Eclipse, maybe they can leveMark Stoodley---2016-08-22 14:53:13---For those new users that are using Eclipse, maybe they can leverage something like https://github.c

From: Mark Stoodley/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
To: omr developer discussions <omr-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2016-08-22 14:53
Subject: Re: [omr-dev] our coding standard
Sent by: omr-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

For those new users that are using Eclipse, maybe they can leverage something like https://github.com/wangzw/CppStyle?

No dig whatsoever on Eclipse here, but I don't think we should assume people who use OMR will necessarily be using Eclipse.

Call me crazy, but I would like the coding standard to cause reviewers to focus on aspects of code contributions that are actually wrong or could be wrong, not things that are correct except for the rule in the coding standard that says it isn't. I support defensive programming recommendations rooted in real problems that are affecting the quality of the project or its consumers. But I'll prefer an automated rule every time over something reviewers have to check manually.

Mark Stoodley 8200 Warden Avenue
Senior Software Developer Markham, L6G 1C7
IBM Runtime Technologies Canada
Phone:+1-905-413-5831
e-mail:mstoodle@xxxxxxxxxx

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein