[mylar-dev] Need advice on how to go about implementing a connector

I am involved with the development of JTrac [ http://jtrac.info ], a relatively new Java (Spring + Hibernate) issue-tracker web-app.  I am interested in implementing a Mylar connector for JTrac similar to what is available for BugZilla, JIRA, Trac etc.  It may be an uphill task for me personally as I have not had any exposure to writing Eclipse plugins at all, but I am willing to give it a shot.

Anyway, first I would focus on implementing a remote API for JTrac, before thinking about the client-side.  I am sure a lot of thought has gone into Mylar to flesh out and define a generic task-management abstraction - and I am looking to borrow from this model also.  In other words I am open to changing JTrac internals to be a closer fit to Mylar if it makes sense.

My questions:
1) Where is a good place to start understanding the domain model of Mylar and what it expects from an external task repository?
2) Would you recommend a SOAP or a REST interface for any specific reason or based on experience with JIRA vs BugZilla?
3) Does Mylar recommend any particular remoting protocol, like RMI or Burlap / Hessian

Appreciate your help in pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Peter.

Back to the top