Re: [mylar-dev] 1.0 Web connector

Karr, David wrote:
Wireshark is trivial to install.  It knows about numerous different
protocols, including HTTP.  Once you find the first HTTP packet that you
care about, which is usually easy, you can either inspect that single
packet, or trace the entire conversation in a single window.  About the
only step that requires a few seconds to figure out is which NIC you
need to trace, if your box has more than one.

If you think it's worthwhile to add more code to Mylar to do something
you can already do, and then continue to maintain that software, well,
whatever.

Using something outside of Mylar and Eclipse is also useful, because you
can compare what your browser does (or some other tool), with what
Mylar/Eclipse is doing.
Well, really, I personally haven't had any need in packet sniffer for all http debugging I've done so far. There is 10+ working templates for web repository connector. :-)

It was obvious that proxy code wasn't working without packed sniffer and when it is started to work it was possible to verify that without sniffing traffic. Also, for browsing trough http conversations "wget -v -d ..." provide a closer information comparing to what browser is doing underneath. Simply because by the nature, connector conversation is much closer to what wget is doing then what is happening in the browser. But we can't expect all users even to have wget installed.

Anyways, it is simple enough to implement very basic tracing console/utility (one UI dialog/screen, and some minor refactoring around httpclient code). So, any user would have relevant information right away, without digging trough all network packets with the external tool. That does not prevent you from using those external tools.

 regards,
 Eugene

Back to the top