Re: [mosquitto-dev] Chacha20 and poly1305 for resource constrained devices.

I agree - we need to look at something more towards elliptic curve encryption keeping things small yet still secure - I know Atmel got a nice very small chip ATSHA204 (latest edition) can do elliptic curve encryption and also very powerful random number generator, low on batt ussages and can keep the payload small - This chip and elliptic curve encryption will make MQTT a dream place for small devices that still need to take security into account, but keep the payload still very small - SSL work fine for computers that cpu madhouse, BUT it's not only the CPU that we need to take into account with small devices - the band with usage is also a factor, so using some of the newer encryption to keep our payload down, secure and help small devices on the CPU, resource side is a win all round

Check out this atmel chip and  elliptic curve - may well be something we see in the future devices+MQTT :)
http://www.atmel.com/products/security-ics/cryptoauthentication/