Re: [milo-dev] Milo vs opcfoundation stack

> AFAIK as paying member of the OPC UA group you get a commercial license
allowing you to use the stack without forcing you to publish your source.

This is true. If you're a paying member you get it under what they call the "Reciprocal Community License": https://opcfoundation.org/license/rcl/1.00/opc-reciprocal-community-license-1.00.pdf

Also AFAIK the java-based stack is not the primary one, so new implementations
will first take place in the C-based one and later be ported to Java.

I think each of the stacks are maintained by a different company under contract. I don't think they treat them with different priorities, though the initial proof of concept stack was the C# one. Still, these are just stacks, not SDKs, and they will probably never be more than that.

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 4:39 AM, Lothar Kimmeringer <job@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Am 02.02.2017 um 22:12 schrieb Ian Skerrett:
One key difference is that Eclipse Milo uses the Eclipse Public License and
Eclipse Distribution License (BSD).  If I understand correctly, the OPC
Foundation implementation are GPL license.   This makes Eclipse Milo a lot
easier to distribute in commercial projects.

AFAIK as paying member of the OPC UA group you get a commercial license
allowing you to use the stack without forcing you to publish your source.

Also AFAIK the java-based stack is not the primary one, so new implementations
will first take place in the C-based one and later be ported to Java.

Cheers, Lothar