[microprofile-wg] Does updating Spec APIs' Java compile level lead to a major or minor release?

In preparing for MP 7.0, some specifications such as MicroProfile Health would like to adopt Jakarta EE 10 Core Profile and consume the latest mp-parent pom 3.x to use the latest plugins such as TestNG 7.8.0, which also requires Java 11+. This means that the project has to update the Java compile level from Java 8 to Java 11.

On this week's MP technical call, it was suggested that such a change should lead to a MAJOR version release as it drops Java 8 support. I mentioned on the call that BJ on cc explained in the past that this is NOT a major change but a minor change as the APIs have not changed at all. I had a chat with BJ earlier and he explained that this Java version change was an implementation detail and did not force the end users to recompile their code. I let BJ explain in more detail. Please comment if you think otherwise.

on c
--
Thanks
Emily