Re: [lsp4e-dev] Problems mapping workspace files to document buffers.

No, I'm not aware of such a bug. I wasn't motivated to open one because (as I mentioned in that ML email) there are actually test cases in org.eclipse.core.filebuffers.tests for the case of connecting different IFile's that both map to the same location, and then expect getting different document buffers. So because this is an API breaking change, I know I would stand zero chance of pushing it through...

A committer with political clout might stand some chance, but even so, I imagine it would be very hard. You're welcome to try, but I think a better hope lies not in changing core.filebuffers, but in changing the IDocumentProvider that editors use (such that the document provider would use filebuffers in slightly different way). But even that, is also a breaking change, so very hard to place in effect Eclipse wide (that is, to have editor user that document provider by default). We might just have to live with having each individual editor/plug-in opt-in into this behaviour.