[linux-distros-dev] Eclipse-ecj dependency in jpackage tomcat55

Hi All,

I jave just completed an install of tomcat55 from jpackage 1.6 stable
on Centos4 (RHEL4 clone). I ran into a few problems with the install,
but particularly with the dependency on eclipse-ecj >= 3.1.1 which
isn't currently fulfilled by jpackage 1.6.

I was in contact with the packager (Ralph) and he provided a solution
which he asked me to relay to this list:

" the problem is that the eclipse package set has some native
components. This is why its subpackages cannot be "noarch", although
some of them,  like eclipse-ecj, ARE pure Java. So, you can safely
install e.g.  http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/jpackage/1.7/fedora-4/RPMS.free/eclipse-ecj-3.1.2-1jpp.i386.rpm
on ANY rpm-based platform, even e.g. on Solaris9 with rpm support from
sunfreeware or rutgers.

It would certainly be possible to build the eclipse packages in
several runs, conditionally changing the arch between runs.

A solution may come from http://en.opensuse.org/Eclipse/EclipseOnLinux
in the mid term "

So whilst the solution was simple, the problem does pose a dilemma for
users of the jpackage project. I imagine this issue will only get
worse and the eclipse project components become increasingly valuable
and become dependencies for more software. I am not a jpackage
developer, simply a user, so if I have misrepresented the issue in
anyway, please be gentle.

Cheers,
Dean.

Back to the top