[jpa-dev] An Attempt at Triaging Issues

Hi folks,

Lukas and I spoke a few days ago and one of the things he asked me to do is help triage the old issues that have been there for some time now. I spent some time doing just that and here are the results:

* https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bxM0XSlQBtF6X-gLmvTMcBEqaSyVkVzrKD7_2J7z-4Y/edit?usp=sharing

From my perspective here is a summary:

* The issues I think are really worth looking at are pagination/sub-selects, JCache integration (if that is really possible) and enabling constructor injection of EntityManagers.

* There are a small number of issues folks that end users could easily pick up (they are under the label "Good first issue").

* There are a small number of issues that are just specification clarification issues. I think major vendors could easily discuss and resolve/clear those.

* There are a ton of issues I think should just be closed or assigned very low priority. They perhaps made sense at a point where there was more time, resources and investment around this particular specification.

* There are a ton of issues I am really not sure of and I think major vendors could evaluate those a bit more (they are under the label "Should be evaluated further"). To be honest I think even if all these issues made it into the specification all at once, a majority of developers out there would not care too much. This makes me wonder if they are worth working on at all and should be resolved at the product rather than specification level. They perhaps made sense at a point where there was more time, resources and investment around this particular specification.

I do encourage other folks to give this a try - especially the end users with a genuine real world interest in the specification.

Hope this helps.

Reza Rahman