Re: [jdt-ui-dev] A Javadoc Builder

Hi Chris,
I did some experiments some years ago with the idea of offering an incremental Javadoc builder. Having the Java model it's quite easy to build the frontend that implements the doclet API so that doclet like the standard Javadoc doclet can be run using our infrastructure.
Problems showed up with compatibility. The doclet API is not the easiest API to implement, it has some strange behavior that would have to be reimplemented. The Javadoc tool changes quite a bit every release. To keep track with that is a lot of work. That were the reasons that made us choose the current solution which is the simple integration of the Javadoc command.

Martin

Chris McGee <cbmcgee@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: jdt-ui-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

2004-05-17 19:38

Please respond to
jdt-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

jdt-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[jdt-ui-dev] A Javadoc Builder

Hi all,

I am working with the JDT at the moment and I had a quick question about
the state of javadoc generation in eclipse. I was wondering if there is any
plan to some day have a sort of javadoc builder?

The only reason that I have to install a JDK is because of the javadoc
executable that I need when I build my javadoc. Couldn't there be a
built-in javadoc parser that is invoked by an incremental javadoc builder
whenever I make changes to my project? Would this be a very difficult task
considering that there is already the capability to parse java code along
with its comments and there is already a javadoc parser of sorts to
discover warnings in one's javadocs.

I suppose that an implementation of a "standard" doclet would have to be
made to generate the standard HTML javadoc output. Also, the javadoc parser
would likely have to provide a doclet API so that custom doclets could be
attached.

Just a thought,
Chris

Chris McGee