Re: [jdt-debug-dev] Modification Watchpoint

jdt-debug-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 08/27/2005 11:33:49 AM:

> Hi,
>
> for our project aims I subclassed the internal class  "JavaWatchpoint",
> handled the modification watchpoint event and stored and worked with the
> value to be.
> And that works fine.
>
> Now, that I am in this topic I want to implement the fix for bug 24334.
> In which way this should happen?
> What is meant with "inspector"? An entry "Inspect new Value" in
> VariablesView below "Inspect" ?

An popup inspector is a lightweight floating shell that contains a "variable-like" view. For example, when you perform an evaluation the result is displayed in a popup inspector. It would be convenient to popup an inspector when a modification watchpoint suspends a thread showing the current and pending values for the field. Ideally, the inspector would appear in the editor next to the line where the modification is being performed.

> Where should be the "value to be" stored? In Modification Breakpoint
> itselfs?

The "value to be" should be stored in the watchpoint object itself. The value will be set each time the breakpoint suspends. Since the same watchpoint could cause simaltaneous suspends in a multi-threaded situation, we should actually store the "value to be" per thread. The following method should be added to the IJavaWatchpoint interface to return the 'value to be' for a specific thread. The method may return null, if there is no pending value. The values should also be cleared when the thread is resumed.

        public IJavaValue getPendingValue(IJavaThread)

Darin

Back to the top