Re: [jaxrs-dev] Vendor commitments

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 5:17 PM Markus KARG <markus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(1) JAX-RS 2.1.1 does not modify code, hence this is irrelevant for this particular release.

You mentioned the mail being about 2.2 too:

---> "we need to look ahead on the upcoming release 2.2 and on the releases of your products."
---> " I'd like to kindly ask all vendors to commit to our agreed schedule (at least 2.1.1 and 2.2) and tell the public here, which release of their product will support which version of JAX-RS 2.1.1 / 2.2,"

I'm not sure if there's any -agreed- schedule for 2.2, nor whether there can be one at this point. The current date for 2.2 was put in by you as a placeholder date.

For 2.2 there might be an agreement then (hopefully).

For a September release? I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath.

If not, the PMC should decide to use jakarta.* simply.

I'm afraid it's not that simple. For totally new code, sure. But to evolve existing code, this is going to be a huge pain. Take the javax.ws.rs.Path annotation. There's a gazillion amount of code out there already using this. We can't enhance this annotation, for example, as long as there is no agreement.

(2) I assume your vendor commitment in the name of Payara will follow soon? ;-)

I personally can't speak for Payara in that way, but Steve (who can) has mentioned before that Payara is absolutely willing to commit to Jakarta EE where possible.

Since we're using Jersey, and we're already committing to Jersey, I personally don't see any issues on the implementation side of things.

Kind regards,
Arjan

-Markus