Re: [jaxrs-dev] Commiters: Please mark ESSENTIAL items for inclusion in Jakarta EE 8

It’s fine to have non-critical bugs fixes in 2.1.1 as far as it doesn’t cause Jersey (and maybe other projects) TCK failures. The problem is that TCKs are not transferred to the Eclipse Foundation yet. We (Oracle) can help and temporary setup some internal TCK jobs.

— Dmitry

On 29 Jul 2018, at 09:03, Markus KARG <markus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I also think Santiago and / or the PMC should decide about what to do with the EE4J_8 branch, as it was the PMC's invention to have it.  They need to tell us the level of criticality, and the version number.

Regarding the 2.1.1-SNAPSHOT, I did create that one as a collection point for all bugs (not only critical one), but I created it before the PMC invented the EE4J_8 branch. Anyways, what we do with 2.1.1-SNAPSHOT will be the actual outcome of this discussion. I do not see a need to keep it ifEE4J_8 may contain even trivial fixes. But I would propose to turn it into 2.1.2-SNAPSHOT if not.

-Markus
From: jaxrs-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:jaxrs-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Christian Kaltepoth
Sent: Samstag, 28. Juli 2018 17:52
To: jaxrs developer discussions
Subject: Re: [jaxrs-dev] Commiters: Please mark ESSENTIAL items for inclusion in Jakarta EE 8

Well, maybe we need to clarify the relationship between the EE4J_8 and the 2.1.1-SNAPSHOT branches a bit more. In both cases we should only accept bugfixes to be merged into these branches. No doubt about that. The term "critical bugfix" is of course up to interpretation. Fixing broken HTML in the API docs or fixing typos could be fine for both branches. But for the EE4J_8 branch Santiago has to decide.

If we keep them separate, it would be interesting to know what version we will release from the EE4J_8 branch. Will it be 2.1.1? This would conflict with the 2.1.1-SNAPSHOT branch. I know that the PMC requires us to keep the EE4J_8 branch and I'm fine with doing so. I just feels weird to have a separate 2.1.1-SNAPSHOT branch which is actually the same thing: A branch for bugfixes of JAX-RS 2.1.