Re: [jaxrs-dev] PR Merge Style

I also have slight preference for B or C, depending on the actual changes in the commit(s). But I'm fine with all options after all.

Cheers
Alessio

On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 4:53 PM, Derek Moore <derek.p.moore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The problem with (B) is it makes a blanket decision to squash all commits into one commit. While this is often appropriate for a number of feature branches, separate logically compounding commits is also often appropriate for merged feature branches.

I teach my teams to rebase their feature branches and to use fast-forward merges so we can create linear histories in our destination branches.

We aren't anal about it, because sometimes it is just easiest to accept merge commits, but sometimes developers don't have the patience or experience to pull off clean histories while they're still learning, so a little bit of social pressure always helps to accelerate adoption and learning of best practices.

Checking out the prevailing habits in Linus's Linux repo or Junio's Git repo is always insightful.

Cheers,

Derek