Re: [jakartaee-tck-dev] Is Arquillian still alive?

On 10/14/21 4:35 PM, Jean-Louis Monteiro wrote:
You are probably right Scott.
I was mentioning as an example of solutions I see nowadays.
But it probably does not apply to what we need.
Maybe not today but testcontainers does look interesting.

That being said, I believe the difficult part in the TCK and where we should spend time isn't necessarily on booting up or shutting down the container we are testing against.
The TCK provides 1 or 2 interfaces for that and it's pretty trivial to implement for newcomers and for existing servers, pretty much everybody has implemented it already.
IMO, the difficult part is in the size of the TCK (over 2 million lines of test code).  Newcomers or even existing contributors don't really understand enough of the TCK internals, I'm learning a lot but there is more to learn every day.  Instead of teaching the internals, I think the current idea is to reduce the TCK complexity in different ways so that future generations can have an easier time maintaining the TCK.  This will come in waves and we are all welcome to make mistakes along the way.  The important thing is that we work together and make corrections as needed.

Splitting down the TCK so we can compose new profiles, to make them easier to run and debug or even to move them to their respective specifications.
This is probably what I'd be focusing on.

Good points.

IMO, most of the effort of splitting the TCK is currently occurring on individual component specification but we also want to reduce complexity for those component specifications that remain in the Platform TCK, such that those component specifications could easily just fork their tests from the refactored Platform TCK.   Even if those component specifications remaining in the Platform TCK do not fork their tests, we still benefit from having an easier to maintain Platform TCK.

Scott