Re: [jakartaee-tck-dev] Jakarta Transaction signatures (maybe others)

Hi Scott,

On Jun 11, 2020, at 9:21 AM, Scott Marlow <smarlow@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 5:19 AM Tom Jenkinson <tom.jenkinson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I might have misinterpreted https://www.eclipse.org/lists/jakartaee-spec-project-leads/msg00413.html - perhaps we want both the Jakarta EE 8 and Jakarta EE 9 signatures on master? If so, we might need to keep javax.transaction.sig_1.3_se8 (if that was indeed the Jakarta EE 8 version). However, I would think that removing javax.transaction.sig_1.2_se8 at least would be consistent with that message (if it can be).

We should ensure that we have signature files for se8/se11 signature files for each Jakarta EE 9 SPEC API.

For signature files that are not used, do we need to keep those or can we delete them?

If it is not relevant due to not being supported as an API or Java SE release, I would remove it.

I am wondering if it would help to have an external list somewhere of all the Jakarta EE 9 SPEC API classes, so that one could (via inspection by humans initially) validate that we have the correct signatures in the Platform TCK?  If yes, I propose a simple script that generates an asciidoc/text file containing all of the said EE 9 classes, that could be merged to a central repo.  This generated document could be considered the truth of exactly which classes in EE 9 applications should use the jakarta package as well.  If we already have this, please mention the link, so we can reference it in future conversations. :)

It is not that difficult to read the sig files.  Do you really feel that would add that much value as from my experience with CTS dating back to J2EE 1.2, the sig files were enough.  Though you might be trying to make it easier for a different audience?

Best
Lance

Perhaps we could also have a script that validates that the EE 9 Platform TCK signature files do represent all of the classes identified by the external list of EE 9 classes (the script could generate that list as well, instead of reading the list from the external asciidoc file).

Hope this helps,
Scott