[jakartaee-tck-dev] Updating TCK master branch to generate 9.0.0 Platform TCK

Hi,

It has been a number of days since discussion about where the EE 9
branch work is done.

I am thinking that we should update the master branch via [1], so that
our nightly master TCK job [2] will use 9.0.0 for the generated TCK,
which will be more correct.

We also need to deal with a large number of changes that are ongoing,
on the GlassFish master branch that are targeting EE 9.  Some of these
changes will be for JDK11 support, others for the switch to the
jakarta namespace.  There are also a large number of SPEC API +
implementation changes that will also come in.

So, my question is how do we prevent TCK failures while we go through
this process of merging TCK changes and syncing with GlassFish
changes?  Mostly, I'm worried about breaking the Jenkins TCK job runs,
in a way that we end up deferring fixing failures until the end of the
EE 9 development cycle.

One way is that we keep the TCK master branch working, as much as
possible, so that we can get immediate feedback on (smaller) changes
that we merge, within a day or two, instead of not knowing until some
other big change is complete.  If we agree with this idea, perhaps we
should also have branches for merging some of the bigger changes to,
that will fail initially but when passing, we could merge the TCK
changes to the master branch (and update master to use a certain
milestone GlassFish build).

Another way, is that we could just merge changes freely to the TCK
master branch for active development and just work through problems as
they come up.

Any other ideas?

Scott

[1] https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jakartaee-tck/pull/153