From: jakartaee-platform-dev <jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Jan Westerkamp via jakartaee-platform-dev
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2023 12:15 AM
To: jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Jan Westerkamp <jan.westerkamp@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [DISCUSS] Introduce "favored specification" concept to Platform specification

Hi,

I think this is an example of good intentions generating bad outcome:

"is this a good idea or not":

A specification is a technical document defining requirements on behaviour of technical implementation, that in must be expected or in some cases may be expected - in the best case this can be tested and certified with the corresponding TCK.

Personas get addressed by a specification document are spec developers, implementation developers and interested, mostly experiences application developers - NOT POs, CEOs, CIOs etc.

To be clear: This is NOT a marketing or product management document to promote things - this is out of scope of a specification document!

When we do a good job, most developers and users don't even need to read it, they only need to read the digested form like a magazine article, blog post, Javadoc or listen a conference talk to apply the technology in an intuitive way.

Additionally, with the intended release cadence of two years of the Jakarta EE Platform specification, such promoting information might outdate in an different, much shorter time frame.

We should do promoting on the Marketing Committee channels like the website to point out clearly, what is a mature or experimental technology besides the Platform and which version can be combined with which Platform version instead. Using WG documents like the yearly Program Plan might be good too.

The specification should only contain in scope specs, otherwise what should be included then and where to stop? Jakarta stand-alone specs (which ones)? MicroProfile? Spring? Or regarding front-end technologies, what about Vaadin?

To bring it in scope of the spec it need to be offered by the majority of the implementation vendors (push principle), the user demand (pull) or both (best case).

What is qualifying a sepc to be listed in the intended way? Developer survey result, WG Member voting, Committer or community voting, download rate?

Please let us add professional software engineer information into the spec document only and do industry politics somewhere else, while not mix up the scope of documents/channels!

"what should we call this thing":

The only thing I could imagine is adding an out-of-scope section to the spec and pointing out, that there is the Jakarta Platform spec with it's Profiles documented here and there is a wider set of Jakarta as a platform in a sense of a set of technologies, that go beyond the Jakarta Platform spec itself, including additional specs. This section could give some clarification what is meant with "platform" and "sand-alone", which both are potential misleading names. May be a (stable) link to theses specs listed (and maintained) on a website (https://jakarta.ee) could be added - but not more than that.

Everything else adds confusion and only blows up the spec document size for the intended users of it.

Best,

Jan