Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [DISCUSS] Introduce "favored specification" concept to Platform specification

I support the idea to add such a section to drive some tractions to the standalone specifications. I don't feel we should say "Candidate xx" nor "Favored". I feel the wording like "Additional Specifications" might be more appropriate.

Thanks
Emily

On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 9:28 AM Ondro Mihályi via jakartaee-platform-dev <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I agree with the idea. There are some specs which obviously have some traction and have been released already or are close to having a 1.0 version but have not been included in the Platform.

I just don't like the term "favored". It sounds like they are already in the Platform and are just endorsed to use in the future (opposite of obsolete). I think it would be better to call them candidate, or incubator specs, or something like that, to indicate they are active and considered for inclusion in the Platform in the future, while other specs are not ready to be considered to become part of the Platform yet. Or we could use both terms - candidate for the specs considered for inclusion in the Platform, and incubator for the specs that are still not ready yet. Then we can easily promote both lists of specs without confusion.

> If we were to add a section like this, it would make sense to ask Platform implementations to mention in their CCR any such specs they implement so users can favor those Platform implementations.

I would go even further and mention the implemented favored/candidate specs, and maybe also other non-Platform specs, on the CCR summary page at https://jakarta.ee/compatibility/certification/10/ so that people can easily compare which implementations provide which specs.

All the best,
Ondro Mihalyi

Director, Jakarta EE expert
OmniFish - Jakarta EE Consulting & Support | www.omnifish.ee
Omnifish OÜ, Narva mnt 5, 10117 Tallinn, Estonia | VAT: EE102487932