Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [EXTERNAL] Get clarity on process for obtaining consent to add a spec to EE11

On Jul 12, 2023, at 12:35 PM, Edward Burns <Edward.Burns@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: David Blevins dblevins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2023 12:55 PM

I.e. if people can only cast votes for a spec to be included and can’t vote against a spec being included, how would that work?

edburns: I was thinking the ballot should consist of all the possible choices of {MVC, Data, JNoSQL, and none}, similar to thedistinguishable balls in indistinguishable boxes problem. Voters would then rank their choices and the winner would be selected. For example, {none, none, none} is a valid vote. Yes, the ballot would be long, but that’s not a problem.

So the intent would be to have a single ranked-choice vote with these options?

Data_yes JNoSQL_yes MVC_yes
Data_yes JNoSQL_yes MVC_no
Data_yes JNoSQL_no MVC_yes
Data_yes JNoSQL_no MVC_no
Data_no JNoSQL_yes MVC_yes
Data_no JNoSQL_yes MVC_no
Data_no JNoSQL_no MVC_yes
Data_no JNoSQL_no MVC_no

(making sure I understand before commenting)

Edburns: Yes, that is correct. Then, we would run a separate ballot to decide what platform variant would have those specs.

I did an experiment ranked-choice vote with 6 votes cast, allocated as follows:

   1       Data_yes JNoSQL_yes MVC_yes
   1       Data_yes JNoSQL_yes MVC_no
   1       Data_yes JNoSQL_no MVC_yes
   1       Data_yes JNoSQL_no MVC_no
   2       Data_no JNoSQL_yes MVC_yes
   0       Data_no JNoSQL_yes MVC_no
   0       Data_no JNoSQL_no MVC_yes
   0       Data_no JNoSQL_no MVC_no

In this scenario Data would not go into Jakarta EE 11 despite 4 clear votes for it to be included and 2 votes for it not to be included.  Those 4 voters simply did not agree on what other specs should or should not be included.  2 people did agree Data should not be included and did agree on the other results, so they won the vote overall.

I’m definitely a fan of ranked choice voting and *very* glad we’re discussing it.  Not sure it works here as our “boxes” are effectively zero to unlimited, so the math of ranked-choices against a fixed number of boxes doesn’t really apply.

If we needed to chose say 2 specs out of 3, I’d also be insisting we use it.

Thoughts?

-David

Back to the top