Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [EXTERNAL] Get clarity on process for obtaining consent to add a spec to EE11

My comments are inline in blue.

On Wed, Jul 12, 2023 at 5:55 PM David Blevins via jakartaee-platform-dev <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jul 11, 2023, at 7:54 PM, Edward Burns <Edward.Burns@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: David Blevins dblevins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Tuesday, July 11, 2023 at 20:37

On Jul 11, 2023, at 4:40 PM, Edward Burns via jakartaee-platform-dev <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  • At the end of the DISCUSS thread, send new emails to point to the chosen ranked choice polling tool to conduct the ballots. I plan to have two ballots, in sequence, that allow voters to rank their desired choices.
    • In/Out for all possible combinations of MVC, Data, JNoSQL, without regard to which platform spec they will go into.
    • With the winners from the In/Out ballot, another ballot that determines what platform spec they will go into.
    • I'll let the voting go for one week.

I’m a huge supporter of ranked-choice voting for things where there is a limit to how many winners there can be.  In this case, we’re not constrained and “no winners” needs to be a valid option.

I.e. if people can only cast votes for a spec to be included and can’t vote against a spec being included, how would that work?

edburns: I was thinking the ballot should consist of all the possible choices of {MVC, Data, JNoSQL, and none}, similar to the distinguishable balls in indistinguishable boxes problem. Voters would then rank their choices and the winner would be selected. For example, {none, none, none} is a valid vote. Yes, the ballot would be long, but that’s not a problem.

So the intent would be to have a single ranked-choice vote with these options?

Data_yes JNoSQL_yes MVC_yes
Data_yes JNoSQL_yes MVC_no
Data_yes JNoSQL_no MVC_yes
Data_yes JNoSQL_no MVC_no
Data_no JNoSQL_yes MVC_yes
Data_no JNoSQL_yes MVC_no
Data_no JNoSQL_no MVC_yes
Data_no JNoSQL_no MVC_no

I suggest just doing 3 independent voting as following:
Data (yes|no)
JNoSQL (yes|no)
MVC (yes|no)

They are independent. It will be much simpler just to list one at a time.
Thanks
Emily

(making sure I understand before commenting)

-David