Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Unreleased former Java SE specifications

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 7:16 PM Kevin Sutter <sutter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  At this stage maybe a good way to get them across the finish line would be to review them and say "these look great, we would vote +1 if the API jars were published and the vote proposed."

Thanks, David.  I had temporarily added the "hold" label on these Spec PRs just due to these discussions on the Platform project.  Based on these discussions, I think it would be best to just move these forward to the Jakarta/EE4J projects per the original plan.  That is not a statement that we are "jakarta-izing" them or including them in the Platform.  It just allows us to do the next steps, if deemed appropriate.

Thanks for the info. I think it makes sense to complete these in any event. I'll take a look through them.

We should probably queue this discussion for the Specification Committee call tomorrow to let the team know that these votes are on the horizon.

Also, to avoid this constant respin of the API jar files, it was proposed at a recent Platform call (and is part of our Release Plan) to promote "RC" versions of the API jar files and actually push them to Maven.  For example, push Jakarta Activation 1.2-RC1 API to Maven.  This allows a preliminary version to be accessible for examination and testing.  And, once we are ready for the vote, then the final 1.2 version could be pushed to the staging repo.  Once the vote passes, then the 1.2 artifacts could be released.

Sounds reasonable. Presumably the -RC artifacts would live forever in Maven, and there's no issue with that. It sounds like we're close and not anticipating a need for many changes.

Thanks for all the info!

Jon

Back to the top