Re: [jakartabatch-dev] Do you plan to move your TCK tests out of the Platform TCK project for Jakarta EE 10+?

On 9/14/21 12:00 PM, Scott Kurz wrote:

"Scott Marlow" <smarlow@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 09/14/2021 11:49:32 AM:

> Is there any reason for the Platform TCK to consume the Batch
> tests?  I wanted that before but am now thinking it will be easier
> for users/Batch API team if the Platform TCK does not duplicate the
> ability to run the Batch EE container level tests.   The reason
> being if a TCK challenge needs to be processed, IMO, the challenge
> process can be handled 100% by the Batch SPEC api without requiring
> a new Platform TCK service release.  Thoughts?

Purely from the Batch TCK perspective, having the Platform TCK consume our tests would just make our job harder.

Making the Batch TCK team job easier is the goal, as we want each SPEC API teams jobs to be easier in the longer term for maintaining the TCK testing.  This will make it easier for new (TCK) contributors as well, which is very important in the long run.

If someone comes up with a generic way to run Standalone TCKs like Batch, from the (refactored to use Apache Maven) Platform TCK, that will need to be based on contracts + spi but I don't think we are ready to define those yet.

But I'm just trying to do our duty towards the person trying to certify an impl against the entire platform.

Ideally there'd be one "configure the platform TCK against my impl and setup" rather than separate steps for configuration/setup for every component.

That said, perhaps a single config/setup is overambitious.   E.g. batch requires test database tables which need to be created in one-off setup.

If we pull in a batch TCK module in a bigger multi-module platform Maven build, but still require you to read the fine print and maybe tweak the batch POM, are we really any closer to single config/setup than if the instructions are just:  "go run the batch TCK" ?

Perhaps we could meet up online for a recorded session to setup running the Batch TCK with WildFly (or other EE implementations), so that people can watch a video on running Jakarta EE level tests with the JBatch TCK.  Does that help?

Back to the top