Re: [jakarta.ee-community] JakartaEE at FOSDEM

Do you know if the conference covers speaker expenses? If so, we could explore what we could do from the community side. Could you try to track down the organizers while you are there and try to find out? If needed, I will be happy to follow up remotely and try to see what could be organized. If speaker expenses aren't covered, it is really difficult for non-vendors to do much. The rest we can at least try to overcome in the community.

Reza Rahman

-------- Original message --------
From: cen <cen.is.imba@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2/1/20 1:09 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: Jakarta EE community discussions <jakarta.ee-community@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [jakarta.ee-community] JakartaEE at FOSDEM

Hi

A few hours ago I had the pleasure to listen to Mike Milinkovich's talk
at FOSDEM which got me thinking.. JakartaEE (and MicroProfile) presence
at this giant conference is almost non existent (I did find a JakartaEE
sticker at the Eclipse stand tho!). The Free Java DevRoom is pretty much
packed every year but is mainly focused on openjdk with rare exceptions.
It would be nice to attend a JakartaEE (+MicroProfile?) DevRoom to hear
directly from spec and implementation developers about the latest and
greatest work done on the projects. Now that JakartaEE is fully open it
also aligns better with the spirit of the conference. That being said..

- I am not familiar with existing Eclipse Foundation events but I
suspect this could be redundant and fall under "yet another event" for
Eclipse to cover

- I don't know what the appeal and attendance from general population
would be. Could be a good popularity test?

- Getting a slot from organizers might be problematic, I know they
already turn down projects because the conference got so big there is
simply not enough rooms for everyone.

Best regards