Re: [jakarta.ee-community] Maven Versioning Rules

All,

If course it is possible to work around having classes in two different jars. Tools can be changed, we can compile against different classes than we run against, tests can be changed etc.

But these don't change the fact that generally speaking it is a bad idea to package the same class into two different jars/modules. We might be able to make it workable in this specific case, but I'd much rather we had policy settings that avoided the need for such work arounds.

For many projects the API is an artifact produced entirely separately from the implementation and it is thus really bad practise to repackage the artifacts into a single artifacts. It can obscure copyright, and licensing, it can encourage alternate potentially different APIs, and it is going to make modules more difficult. Let's just stop doing it generally.

If there are specific projects where it makes sense, let's have a specific convention for combining API and implementation into a single "runtime" jar.

Cheers