I look forward to seeing iterations of the paper and will be happy to provide some feedback, if useful.

best,

James

On Aug 31, 2016, at 10:40, Ian Skerrett <ian.skerrett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

James,

Nice to hear from you. I will certainly add Mynewt as an example IoT OS. Feel free to add comments to the white paper too.

We should also look for ways to collaborate. Would it make sense for Eclipse Paho (MQTT) or Eclipse Wakkama (LWM2M) SDKs to be delivered with Mynewt?
From: iot-wg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:iot-wg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of James Pace
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 12:46 PM
To: IoT Working Group mailing list <iot-wg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [iot-wg] White paper for Eclipse IoT

Hello, Ian, All. This paper is a great start for a broad yet extensive survey of IoT stacks!

Under “IoT Operating Systems”, I would also like to point out the Apache Mynewt (incubation) project in the Apache Software Foundation. Apache Mynewt includes the world’s first controller-level open source Bluetooth Low Energy for microcontrollers.

Apache Mynewt is notable in a few respects; to name a few: community driven + permissively licensed (Apache 2.0) project embedded work; world’s first open source Bluetooth Low Energy stack for constrained (MCU) environments; a composable OS with a number of services. The OS is composable via a modern, gpm- or npm-like build and package management tool. Components include secure boot loader, flash file system and TLV storage mechanism, rich logging infrastructure, circular buffering schemes, and BLE! Interpreters for Python and Lua are now complete; a _javascript_ interpreter is currently being worked.

Specific to the OS with BLE (4.2), the open source approach has obvious benefits to developers: access to source code; better debugging (breakpoints!), avoiding stack smashes, no stolen interrupts, etc.; direct access to peripherals for granular power control; better, precise configurability of concurrent connections and flexibility across central and peripheral roles.

It’s still early days, but the community would appreciate the exposure and, even better, love to find a way to collaborate.

best,

James