Re: [iot-pmc] Advice: Why does the review approach differ between pre-req and works-with?

On Fri, 2018-11-09 at 23:36 +0000, Ian Craggs wrote:
> https://wiki.eclipse.org/IoT/PMC
> Designation	License	Distribution	Resolution
> pre-req	compatible	any	approve
> pre-req	incompatible	Eclipse	reject
> pre-req	incompatible	Other	discuss and vote
> works-with	any	any	discuss and vote
>
> I understand the approaches here except for:
>
> 1. pre-req + compatible + any = approve
> 2. works-with + compatible + any = discuss and vote
>
> Why should the hurdle here be higher for works-with rather than pre-req?   If
> anything it seems to me that the risk is lower for works-with, so the hurdle
> would be lower?  What am I missing?

From the project handbook:

It’s enough to just create a CQ to register the use of Works With Dependency
without seeking IP Team approval for its dependencies. Works With Dependencies
must be approved by the Eclipse project’s PMC.

So, the process requires us (the PMC) to approve the dependency and the
transparent way of doing so is to discuss and vote on the dependency.

We have already made the voting process easier to do in the IoT PMC and at ECE we
(the IoT PMC) agreed to try to make it even more streamlined. I am still waiting
for feedback from the IP team regarding these plans, though.

However, I think we all agreed that we consider the risk very low and therefore
would like to make this much easier.