Re: [iot-pmc] Eclipse Kura Documentation

Hello David,

I do know that the following suggestion sounds quite "old-school", totally un-hipster and way too 90ies ...

But I did find to use Docbook 5 (XML) quite useful. There are lots of pros and cons. But the biggest advantage is that you have the "source code" of your documentation in a well defined format and can generate readable documents use various technologies. Even without a service in the cloud.

I really admit that writing documentation in XML is far from user friendly ;-) Markdown, APT, et al ... are all way easier to understand. For a single page or two. But I guess Kura does need a few "pages" more. Docbook has things like proper cross referencing which come in handy when looking at a bigger documentation.

You will need a few scripts around that when building the documentation. But there are a few Java based tools like the Maven based "Docbkx Tools" [1] and the "Maven jDocBook" plugin [2], which make the transformation from XML to PDF, HTML a lot easier.

You can have a look at an example here [3]. We also do generate documentation based on system properties and EMF models, with a little bit of XSL processing and Java help.

So unless you already have scorched earth by Docbook, give it a though.

Jens

[1] http://docbkx-tools.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://maven-jdocbook-plugin.jboss.org/
[3] https://github.com/ctron/eclipse_scada_book