[iot-pmc] Implementing IEC Standards

All,

After much deliberation, and review with our legal advisors, the Eclipse Foundation has decided that it will allow its projects to implement IEC standards on a case-by-case basis. Specifically, Eclipse Projects may implement international standards defined by the IEC, provided that the following steps are taken:
  1. Open a CQ declaring a dependency on the standard, and certify that there are no references to that standard in the IEC patent database[1].

    The EMO may wish to discuss the nature of the specific standard with you.
  1. If access to any ISO/IEC documents are required, strict compliance with the copyright requirements for those documents must be followed. E.g. do not copy or share electronic copies of the documents.
  2. Do not include any ISO/IEC copyrighted information in the project. E.g. do not copy materials into code comments, fileheaders, or documentation.
  3. You may note that the project's implementation is based on the standard(s) in your project documentation.
If you have any questions, please contact the EMO via license@xxxxxxxxxxx for further guidance.

I thank you for your patience. This was a much longer and more frustrating process than any of us expected.

[1] http://patents.iec.ch/
--
Mike Milinkovich
mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx