Re: [incubation] File headers for generated files

On 2017-06-04 2:40 PM, Alois Z. wrote:
Hi,
I think I have a question also interesting for other incubation projects:
We normally include into our repo also the generated code. This makes it much easier for new contributors to setup a build environment and start codeing. Espcially when they are working on plugins where they use the generated code and don't want to change it.
My question is now how would the legal header need to be for such files?

Alois,

That is a surprisingly complicated question, and the answer is "it depends".

You may want to read this entry in the EPL FAQ: https://www.eclipse.org/legal/eplfaq.php#CODEGEN

What do you expect users to do with this generated code?

Do you want the copyleft provisions of the EPL to apply to the generated code, or do you want to make it clear that they can include this code in their own products under a (potentially) proprietary license?

HTH

--
Mike Milinkovich
mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx