Re: [incubation] Take me off your distribution

On 02/21/2017 10:39 AM, Mark Booth wrote:
It is NEVER acceptable to sign someone up to a mailing list without their permission. You are lucky that I haven't automatically blocked this list and started reporting every message from it as SPAM.
By all means require me to subscribe to the incubation list, but I MUST be allowed to do that myself, in my own way. You do not know which e-mail address I want to use for this mailing list, and I have not given anyone permission to use this e-mail address in this way.
Although I sympathize with the theory of mailing-lists, I just believe this answer lacks pragmatism and misses to think about the community:
* you're joining a community, having one mailing-list on by default is not something surprising for a community. It's not an advertisement service and the goal of the community is to have people cooperate with as less effort as possible. Having people opt-out on one mailing-list is a way to make the community more welcoming as it requires less steps to be "in". It's a step forward in the perpetual goal of lowering the entry barrier for upcoming and new contributors.
* there's a pretty visible unsubscribe link on emails. Clicking it is simple as reporting it as spam.
* About email address, the address that's used is the same address you're using on Bugzilla or Git to interact with other pieces of the community. Taking it as default is clearly a good guess. However, you're still free to unsubscribe and subscribe again with a more suitable address I guess.

--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer for Red Hat Developers

Back to the top