Re: [ice-dev] Enabling ConnectCoreAction

Hello Scott,

I had a couple of questions regarding the changes.

1) In line 106 in RSCoreConnectAction.java, it says Client.getDefault() which generates a syntax error as Client doesn't seem to have it. I am not able to figure out what the modification should be.

   When the RSCoreConnectAction.run() method is invoked...see RSCoreConnectAction.run()...the /edef/rscore.xml is read, the user-provided hostname and port are substituted in the appropriate endpoint description property, and then the RemoteServiceAdmin.importService(endpointDescription) is called to connect to the ICore remote host, and create and register the ICore remote service proxy.

2) I am able to see where the xml file is processed, but I am confused as to how I can trigger the RSCoreConnectAction.run() function. Was this in a driver file elsewhere? The previous CoreConnectAction.run() is triggered through ClientWorkbenchWindowAdvisor (which is not used anywhere) as I had mentioned earlier.

If the patch has this information, I will go through that instead.

3) RSCore uses DS annotations. So should I enable auto-generation of the metadata, as explained in

Once I enable it, would I need to trigger a build so that the XML metadata is generated? Can I then use it only test the RSCoreConnectAction.run() function?

Note that currently the Core class exports via the ECF generic provider (rather than r-osgi).   It's not a big deal to change both the remote service host and consumer to use either the r-osgi provider, or other providers (e.g. the Jersey Jax-RS provider).

4) Ah ok. Is it better to use the r-osgi provider rather than ECF generic?

If you need any more information, please let me know.

Regards,
Ram

--
Ramachandran K. Narayanan