Re: [hono-dev] Metric names/tags

On Wed, 2019-01-09 at 11:18 +0100, Jens Reimann wrote:
> I think it can be quite possible to keep the protocol as is:
>
> For example with the Kura adapter, although the (transport) protocol is MQTT,
> the actual protocol is "Kura MQTT", and IIRC the protocol name is "kura".
>
> The generic "http" and "mqtt" protocol adapters maybe could be better tagged
> with "protocol=vanilla-http" or "protocol=hono-http", as they are the default
> HTTP dialect for Hono. But I think simply naming them e.g. "http" is fine.
>
> And the same for "coap", "lora", …
>
> So when it comes to e.g. PPMP, why not simply say the protocol is "ppmp"? Yes,
> the transport is still HTTP, but the whole protocol stack could be called
> "ppmp".

The point is that we take the value for the (current) "protocol" tag from
AbstractProtocolAdapterBase.getTypeName(), which returns the type name of the
adapter which may or may not be related to the transport protocol used.

I would therefore rather use the tag "component-name" for this value because it
does not imply any relation to the transport protocol at all. If we feel that the
underlying transport protocol is of relevance in the metrics as well, then we
could keep the "protocol" tag as well, but in this case we should put in the
(vanilla) names of the the transport protocols, i.e. "mqtt", "http", "coap" (but
never "kura" or "ppmp-http". However, I do not really see what it would be good
for.