Re: [hono-dev] Measuring code coverage

I agree that metrics have to be handled with care. The raw numbers don't count much IMHO. And it also shouldn't be used to "make all numbers green". Getting 100% is never possible IMHO, and not useful either.

But I think can be a good indicator which areas might need more testing, or what the trend is over time. I think if the effort to get this insight is really low (travis doing that for you on every build), then we should add it.

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 4:56 PM, Hudalla Kai (INST/ECS4) <kai.hudalla@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2018-03-19 at 13:19 +0100, Jens Reimann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what do you think about measuring code coverage using Jacoco and some service
> like codecov.io?

Thanks for the initiative, Jens :-)

However, to be honest, I am not a big fan of tracking code coverage because FMPOV
in most cases you do not really get anything out of it. Is it too low? Is it ok?
As long as there is no notion of "did we actually cover interesting methods or
just getters and setters", it is of little use AFAIC.
I will not stand in your way if you want to set it up but I can certainly live
without it.

> If that would be of interest, I could prepare a setup based on that.
>
> Jens

Jens Reimann
Senior Software Engineer / EMEA ENG Middleware
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14
85630 Grasbrunn
Germany
phone: +49 89 2050 71286

Red Hat GmbH, www.de.redhat.com,
Managing Directors: Paul Argiry, Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Michael O'Neill

Back to the top