Re: [hono-dev] CoAP protocol adapter for Hono

On Thu, 2018-03-08 at 15:31 +0100, Alfusainey Jallow wrote:
> Hi Kai,
>
> Thanks much for the response!
>
> > I think I do not understand the question. Can you be a little more specific?
>
> I was just wondering what coap-base back-end system will the coap adapter
> communicate with. Assume we have a coap device A that wants to send telemetry
> data downstream, do we have the ff. flow:
>
> A -> coap Adapter -> Hono Messaging -> coap-base server -> business
> application. Will Hono messaging send the data through a coap-base network down
> to the business apps?

No, the protocol adapters' purpose is to normalize all messages to AMQP 1.0.
Thus, the flow of messages through the system is as follows:

A -> CoAP Adapter -> Hono Messaging -> AMQP 1.0 Messaging Network -> business
application.

Note that it is analogous to any other protocol adapter, e.g. for the MQTT
adapter we get:

A -> MQTT Adapter -> Hono Messaging -> AMQP 1.0 Messaging Network -> business
application.

This way, a downstream business application does not need to bother about the
particular transport protocol used by the device. It will always consume messages
using AMQP 1.0.