Re: [hono-dev] CoAP protocol adapter for Hono

Hi Alfusainey,

thanks for your interest in contributing to the Hono project :-)

I have made some inline comments below

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Kai Hudalla
Chief Software Architect

Bosch Software Innovations GmbH
Ullsteinstr. 128
12109 Berlin
GERMANY
www.bosch-si.com

Registered Office: Berlin, Registration Court: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg; HRB
148411 B
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr.-Ing. Thorsten Lücke; Managing Directors:
Dr. Stefan Ferber, Michael Hahn

On Wed, 2018-03-07 at 12:10 +0100, Alfusainey Jallow wrote:
> Hi hono-devs,
>
> I am interested to provide CoAP protocol adapter support for Hono as part of
> GSoC '18. I am a PhD student (in the preparatory phase) at Saarland University
> (Germany).
>
> I have an interest in contributing to opensource and started doing so for the
> Apache Jackrabbit project in 2014. The reason for choosing an Eclipse project
> for my GSoC is that I have been using the Eclipse IDE for all my Java projects
> and want to use this opportunity to contribute back to the community.
>
> For Apache Jackrabbit, I implemented a missing feature within the client-
> server-based implementation of JSR 283[1] present with Apache Jackrabbit[2].
> While the reference implementation already provided support for access control
> management, as defined by the specification (JSR 283), this was outstanding in
> the "JCR Remoting"[3]. My contribution was to fill that gap and the end result
> was appreciated by the community[4].
>
> I have forked the Hono and Californium repositories and already have my
> development environment setup. I looked at the Hono Protocol Adapter base class
> and studied how the Http protocol adapter was implemented as an extension to
> the base protocol adapter. Concretely, I looked at how the implementation was
> tested by going through the
> org.eclipse.hono.adapter.http.AbstractVertxBasedHttpProtocolAdapterTest and
> org.eclipse.hono.adapter.http.vertx.VertxBasedHttpProtocolAdapterTest unit
> tests.

well done

> I also spent sometime experimenting with a custom HTTP protocol adapter as
> described in [5]. For californium, I started the HelloWorldServer and use the
> copper firefox add-on as a client to interract with the server.
>
> I just have few questions:
> 1. Should the coap adapter be built on top of Californium i.e use it as a
> library?

Yes, absolutely. We would also like the protocol adapter be built on vert.x, i.e.
 derived from AbstractProtocolAdapterBase

> 2. Who will be the consumer of the API exposed by the coap adapter, IoT devices
> only?

At least, that's what we have in mind for the protocol adapters. However, we
cannot really determine whether the client is an IoT device or not, as long as it
uses the API as intended, right?

> 3. Where on the stack will the CoAP server sit on? Or do we not care?

I think I do not understand the question. Can you be a little more specific?

> I look forward to this fun project and any further advice/tips on what I should
> do next would be appreciated.
>
> [1] https://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=283
> [2] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/jcr/index.html
> [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-2113