Re: [hono-dev] Hono Client dependencies

On 01.02.2018 11:48, Avgustin Marinov wrote:

Hi all,

I have a question regarding Hono Client dependencies.

As far as I understand, the Hono Client consists of two jars - hono-core and hono-client. These are needed in order a Hono Adapter or backend app to communicate with Hono. However,  these jars bring a dependency on jjwt, which is probably reasonable. But they also bring dependencies on the springframework core and cache, which I don't think is reasonable if you try to minimize dependencies. I  mean springframework use is sporadic and could be easily avoided.

So my question is - do you try to minimize dependencies for the Hono Client. I mean when a client try to integrate Hono Client in its solution any additional dependency could be a problem (overhead, compatibility issues ...). If you target dependencies minimization - have you decided what dependency set to stick to?

No, we haven't put much effort in minimizing the dependencies so far. But you are raising a good point. We could try to make some of the dependencies optional and try to detect during runtime, if they are available or not and use them accordingly (or not). You are very welcome to raise a corresponding issue and (ideally) provide a PR for improving it.

PS: regarding usability - it could be good idea to make hono-core and hono-client OSGi compatible (e.g. to add OSGi import/export) in order to be easily deployed on OSGi frameworks. For instance vertx -core that you use under the hood is build like that.

We also haven't considered creating OSGi compliant manifest files yet. Again, we would be very open to a PR adding support for OSGi.

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Avgustin Marinov

Bosch Software Innovations GmbH
Lead Software Engineer/Backend Software
Aachener Str. 222
50931 Cologne
GERMANY

Tel +359 2 952 35 81/308
Fax +359 2 953 26 17
a.marinov@xxxxxxxxxxx
www.prosyst.com

Connect with us on Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube!
www.blog.bosch-si.com

Registered office: Berlin, Register court: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg; HRB 148411 B;
Executives: Dr.-Ing. Rainer Kallenbach, Michael Hahn

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Kai Hudalla
Chief Software Architect

Bosch Software Innovations GmbH
Ullsteinstraße 128
12109 Berlin
GERMANY
www.bosch-si.com

Registered Office: Berlin, Registration Court: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg; HRB 148411 B
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr.-Ing. Thorsten Lücke; Managing Directors: Dr. Stefan Ferber, Michael Hahn

Back to the top