Re: [hono-dev] Correlation of messages

Hi Kai,

I’m +1 for using correlation id pattern here. It doesn’t impact anything fundamentally (it’s not jms related), and leaves option for implementations that want to use message ids, to set them as correlation ids if they want to.

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 5:08 PM, Hudalla Kai (INST/ESY1) <Kai.Hudalla@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Do, 2016-06-23 at 14:31 +0000, Guggemos Dominik (INST/ECS1) wrote:
> Initially we designed the API to support the Message ID Pattern as
> this seems to be the preferred way to do this with AMQP 1.0. Maybe
> someone can confirm or disconfirm this? And this is how I implemented
> the request/response messages for the Device Registration API. Now I
> came across the fact that I cannot set an arbitrary message id using
> the Qpid JMS Client and read in the JMS specification, that the
> Message ID is generated by the client and not meant to be set by the
> user. The recommended way to do request/response with JMS is the
> Correlation ID Pattern.

You do not necessarily need to set the message ID explicitly as long as
you are able to get to know about the message ID the JMS provider has
used to send the message, right? In fact, the JMS provider in this case
makes sure (is required by the spec) to create a globally unique ID for
you ... if Qpid JMS client does not provide a way for the client to get
to know about the message ID then I consider this a bug (as already
stated) which needs to be fixed.

> Actually I do not prefer the one over the other, but I'm currently
> facing the question if we change the API and implementation to switch
> to the Correlation ID pattern to be compatible with JMS? So we are
> somehow back to the discussion "to JMS or not to JMS".

Neither do I :-) I found a post on stack overflow [1] regarding this as
well and there is one answer arguing in favor of Correlation ID pattern
due to the fact that - guess what - not all JMS clients provide access
to the used ID :-)

So, can we then conclude that we want to use the Correlation ID
pattern?