Re: [hawkbit-dev] hawkBit Installation & Usage queries - ELIOT - Akraino - Opensource

Glad to hear about your plans to integrate hawkBit to the ELIOT platform!

Let me try to answer your questions:

1) Supported type of software for installation

For hawBit it doesn’t matter what kind of software you’re going to ship and install on your devices. The update process on the device itself is very specific

however from the backend-side (hawkBit) process is always same: Manage the binaries, ship a bunch of files to the device and get status update the update state back.

2) . Compatibility using the  UI

Not sure if I understood correctly. Management of the updates (upload firmware, version management, select devices for update, monitor the update process) will be done via hawkBIt’s UI.

At the end you as a user are in charge for the assignment of software to a device. Therefore people usually leverage “controller attributes” from hawkBit to build device filter based on device characteristics  (e.g hardware revision, model type, …).

Nevertheless the device can reject the update due to incompatibility anyways (depends on the implementation of the client).

3) Docker

It depends on your setup, how much you want/have to customize and last but not least the environment.

For example hawkBit supports all major cloud storages (e.g S3 or Azure Blob storage) but they are not included within the docker images.

Hope this helps to gain a better understanding of hawkBit!

Best, Dominic