Re: [gmf-dev] CVS: GMF release state tagged, maintenance branch is created

Hi Rich,

The problem with M-Builds is that they cumulate all the fixes; which increases the risk for clients. The idea of hotfixes is to deliver the strict minimum required to unblock clients.

I understand that for 1.0 the likelihood of a hotfix is low, but given we are doing this exercise for the first time we may as well set the tone properly. Also, the cost of protecting ourself from being "version squeezed" is null.

    Thanks

       - Fred

_________________________________
Frédéric Plante
Rational Software, IBM Software Group

"Richard Gronback" <Richard.Gronback@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: gmf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/17/2006 02:36 PM

Please respond to
"GMF Project developer discussions." <gmf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"GMF Project developer discussions." <gmf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [gmf-dev] CVS: GMF release state tagged,        maintenance branch is created

Hi Fred,

I guess I was recalling an earlier email regarding our development plan,
when I proposed to align with our maintenance releases with Callisto.  As I
recall, the proposal was to have those who require ³hot fixes² to simply
leverage our interim M-builds and depend on the qualifier to distinguish.
Does this not work, and am I missing something?

I suspect that by the time most clients adopt GMF 1.0 and we get asked for a
hotfix, 1.0.1 will be out. ;)

Best,
Rich