Re: [glassfish-dev] [External] : Re: Proposed Process for New Features, release plans post 7 Final

On 12/16/22 2:22 PM, arjan tijms wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 1:08 PM Lukas Jungmann <lukas.jungmann@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:lukas.jungmann@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    "A committer is required to check PRs at least once a week, so he is
    not
    allowed to unplug himself for a week - vacation, sickness, whatever the
    real reason can be - without a replacement."

Everybody is always allowed to unplug themselves for a week (or two weeks, or longer). And sickness is also allowed, of course. I don't think we can disallow someone from becoming sick.

But in the event of those things happening, the project should be able to simply continue. There's IMHO no need, or requirement, for the person unplugging themselves, to become available again within any given time limit.

right, the project must be able to continue and a full week sounds like a good compromise to me as usually it takes ~3 days to somehow resolve "unexpected events". On the other hand taking 1 day off and be out for 5 continuous days is not as uncommon as it may seem in many countries around the globe through out the year, not only during Christmas break when one sort of expects delayed responses; PR on Mon and merge on Fri/Sat/Sun can be another example against "hard-coded" 5 days.

As I understand, this "limit" is applicable to bigger changes, not simple/non-controversial bug fixes/changes where waiting too long really makes no sense.

thanks,
--lukas

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms