Re: [glassfish-dev] Proposed Process for New Features, release plans post 7 Final

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 8, 2022 at 11:25 PM Steve Millidge (Payara) <steve.millidge@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On the specific point of the JWT PR it was created, approved and merged on the same day. With no associated issue.

Does an issue really add anything beyond the PR? Increasingly I see projects being PR focussed, where all the discussion takes place within the PR. GitHub even bases the release notes on the PRs, not on the issues, which are mostly secondary.

As said, reviewers were being explicitly requested, and people can review (or provide comments) after a merge. In that specific PR we indeed see an individual committer doing just that, while nobody from, for instance, Payara, commented.

That said, the PR could have been kept open longer, but realistically speaking, would it have made a difference? The MP Config PR was open for 115 days, and nobody from Payara commented during all that time.

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms

From: glassfish-dev <glassfish-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of arjan tijms <arjan.tijms@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 8, 2022 8:18:42 PM
To: glassfish developer discussions <glassfish-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [glassfish-dev] Proposed Process for New Features, release plans post 7 Final

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 8, 2022 at 7:53 PM Steve Millidge (Payara) <steve.millidge@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Rationale: It has been raised to me as project lead (Note: not by Payara committers) that the incorporation of MicroProfile capabilities without planning, discussion and without suitable review has been problematic for some.

The PR to add MicroProfile config support had been open for 115 days. That should, IMHO, be enough time for anyone who may think it's problematic to say something about it. At least something from Oracle took a look at it, and then of course two people from OmniFish. The contribution was from an external person. In open source we should be happy with contributions, and don't reject them simply because we had not put them on a plan a year ago (open source generally doesn't work like that).

The PR to add MicroProfile jwt support was open for less time, but committers from multiple organizations were requested to review, including Payara. It was their choice however to not respond. Given the nature of open source and version control people can raise concerns and ask for a revert after a PR has been merged, but this too did not happen. Besides OmniFish, an independent GlassFish committer looked at the PR as well.

Altogether it seems to me the reviews have been suitable.

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms