Re: [glassfish-dev] GlassFish updates for the javax -> jakarta transition

For the JDK 11 work in Payara we had to bring ASM version up to the latest. I assume we will have to do this in GlassFish.

-----Original Message-----
From: glassfish-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx <glassfish-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Bill Shannon
Sent: 10 January 2020 03:10
To: Russell Gold <russell.gold@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: glassfish developer discussions <glassfish-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [glassfish-dev] GlassFish updates for the javax -> jakarta transition

Russell Gold wrote on 1/8/20 11:23 AM:

>> On Jan 8, 2020, at 1:59 PM, Bill Shannon <bill.shannon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, we need to do most of the work in dependency order.  The Jakarta
>> EE 9 release plan [1] has a set of "waves" that show the ordering.
>> The ORB isn't included and that's probably a mistake.  We would need
>> your help to understand where it fits in in the dependency ordering.
>
> orb -> orb-gmbal -> [orb-gmbal-commons, orb-gmbal-pfl]
>
> Note: orb-gmbal-pfl contains a very old version of asm under the artifact id pfl-asm. If Glassfish is still using that, we’d want to remove it.

Remove it from GlassFish, so that the ORB uses its own private version?

Or remove it from orb-gmbal-pfl, so the ORB uses the version in GlassFish?

> Currently, the ORB is built so that it should run under JDK11 (pfl-basic is an MR jar). Some additional work will be needed in Glassfish to take advantage of that.

What kind of work would be needed in GlassFish?

How is pfl-basic related to orb-gmbal-pfl?

Does the ORB's version of ASM work under JDK 11?

>> Will any of the javax.rmi APIs need to be changed to jakarta.rmi?
>
> How would I figure that out?

Well, at this point I don't think that will need to happen, but I'm checking to be sure.

>> I assume all of the RMI/IIOP APIs are actually removed from Java SE
>> and so would need to be changed to jakarta.* APIs to be included in Jakarta EE 9.
>
> There could be a fair bit, there. Not sure how you schedule my time with Tom Snyder.

In fact, I don't think this will need to be done, but we will need the entire ORB and RMI-IIOP support to work correctly in a JDK 11 runtime, as part of providing backward compatibility for those products that need it (e.g., WebLogic), including EJB interoperability support.