Re: [glassfish-dev] GlassFish updates for the javax -> jakarta transition

Steve Millidge (Payara) wrote on 1/9/20 2:49 AM:
> My preference would be to switch master to 6.x and create a maintenance branch off the 5.1.0 tag.

I agree.  Do we need to start collecting +1's?  :-)

> On the list of things to do it looks reasonable but won't know for sure until a first pass through it.

Yes, I'm sure there's at least a few things that are missing.

> One other thing is whether we remove the support for the removed apis.

We can't remove support for any optional APIs since we still need a Compatible
Implementation that supports them all.

Separately we need to decide what level of backwards compatibility support
Eclipse GlassFish will offer.  I'm still hoping that someone will create a
backwards compatibility project that can be shared by multiple Jakarta EE
implementations.  It would be useful to prototype such a project in GlassFish.

Even ignoring backwards compatibility, my understanding is that the platform
TCK depends heavily on the Deployment API, so if we remove that we're going to
have to figure out what to replace it with.

What's you're feeling on the "javax -> jakarta" work vs. the JDK 11 work?
How do we coordinate them?