Re: [geomesa-users] Possible problems and issues re updating from 1.2.1 to 1.3.0

Hi Ben,

1. In 1.3 we've dropped support for the old geohash index used in 1.2.1. Queries will continue to work, but if you query something that would have hit the geohash index (e.g. spatial query without a time component) then it will be extremely slow, especially with 40B records. If all your queries are hitting the Z3 index (spatial + time), record index (feature ID), or attribute index then you will be ok.

1a. Indexing strategies have improved, but the index format is set when you call createSchema. Thus, you likely won't see much query improvement, although you will get any bug fixes. The indices associated with different geomesa versions is outlined here:

http://www.geomesa.org/documentation/user/accumulo/data_management.html#upgrading-existing-indices

An explanation of the different indices we currently support is here:

http://www.geomesa.org/documentation/user/datastores/index_structure.html

To get the best performance, we provide a process to migrate data to a newer index format through our command line tools, described here:

http://www.geomesa.org/documentation/user/accumulo/commandline_tools.html#add-index-command

Given the size of your data, this may or may not be feasible - if you do want to migrate indices it may be better to create a new schema and manually backfill a few months' worth of data at a time.

2. Yes, CQL queries should yield the same results

3. As we use GeoTools as our main abstraction, the general API has not changed. If you use more geomesa specific features, then certain things may have changed. If you can describe your current process I can provide more details. We have upgraded to GeoTools 15 and GeoServer 2.9, so you would probably want to upgrade to those versions as well.

4. Date processing has not changed - the data binding is java.util.Date, but all our date operations use joda time classes. This was true in 1.2.1 as well.

Thanks,

Emilio